Statement on Gender Equity and Underrepresented Minorities
The University of Texas at Austin and the College of Pharmacy place a high priority on ensuring that the campus is a place where diverse people, ideas, and perspectives can flourish. To learn more, visit our UT Office for Inclusion and Equity.
Dr. Carolyn Brown represents the College of Pharmacy on the University Faculty Gender Equity Council.
Dr. Skyller Walkes represents the College of Pharmacy on the Council for Racial and Ethnic Equity and Diversity.
Cultural Proficiency Committee
The Cultural Proficiency Committee of the College of Pharmacy works to create and maintain a learning, research, and work environment (both physical and social) that promotes and values diversity of people, beliefs and ideas. Objectives of this standing committee include:
- to promote education and training opportunities as well as college activities for faculty, staff and students in support of creating an inclusive working and learning environment.
- to facilitate the incorporation of content and learning strategies throughout the entire curriculum to strengthen students’ cultural competency.
- to improve two-way communications with off-campus faculty.
- to improve communication with families of current and prospective students as well as with the broader community by promoting the College’s commitment to cultural diversity and proficiency.
Accomplishments of this committee include:
- Established College-wide Cultural Celebrations*
- Diversity Forums
- Grants Awarded to support events and projects with objectives relevant to diversity education
- Faculty/Staff Survey and Report which measures opinions on diversity and gender equity
*The Pharmacy Council co-sponsored the Cultural Celebrations until 2014, when it took over sole sponsorship of the event.
See also: Outreach – CPC Sponsored Projects
A Introductory Message from Skyller Walkes, Ph.D.
Greetings College of Pharmacy Family,
My name is Dr. Skyller Walkes, and it is with great enthusiasm that I introduce myself to the outstanding community of the College of Pharmacy. I am thrilled to begin this year at the University of Texas at Austin College of Pharmacy as the Assistant Dean of Diversity and Inclusion and Assistant Professor of Instruction in the Division of Pharmacy Practice.
Informed by our collective vision, I endeavor to advance our commitment and demonstration to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion in the College of Pharmacy. Through the mediums of intentional engagement, open and authentic dialogue, and an integrated curriculum, we will inspire, prepare, and empower our 21st Century learners to be the innovative and culturally competent Pharmacy leaders of tomorrow.
Conscientious transformation is rarely easy, and less so, when tethered to rooted themes of identity, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, ability, country of origin, and religion, as it challenges us to examine the depths of our acculturation and socialization processes. Furthermore, such critically-minded exploration encourages further meaning-making of our socially organized settings and how we might conjointly interact in those settings. Yet, it also encourages us to envision our unique selves as contributing members of a broader community in our plural world- a world in which we have a vocational purpose and commitment to serve.
As we foster professional and educational relationships in the College of Pharmacy through co-constructed knowledge production, we seek to design every aspect of our practices to speak to the collective consciousness of our faculty staff, and student constituents- cultivating an experience of diverse thought, affirmed identity, and engaging praxis. Through this intentional and concerted effort modeled by our leadership and exemplified by our student community, the College of Pharmacy espouses to engender and activate researchers and practitioners who will engage the world with a civic mind and global perspective of diversity to support ALL members of community. This is not only our aspiration for building a visibly diverse and inclusive community, but our firm, collective charge as a premier College of Pharmacy.
Yours in Community,
Skyller Walkes, Ph.D.
The College of Pharmacy at UT Austin, ranked among the top three pharmacy programs in the country, aims to be an exemplar of intersectionally inclusive excellence through a rigorous approach to the understanding of intercultural engagement in our ever-expanding global world and knowledge economy.
The College of Pharmacy further labors to uphold a vision that inspires and challenges, yet explicitly affirms the students, staff, and faculty of our diverse community with authentic appreciation for the differences that engineer our pluralistic ingenuity. Our commitment to be intentionally inclusive in the culture, curriculum, and practices of the College of Pharmacy is resolute.
Read the latest issue of DiversiTEA Corner, the newsletter about topics and events regarding inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility at the UT College of Pharmacy.
College Strategic Plan
For additional information about diversity efforts, see Key Priority 4 of the College of Pharmacy Strategic Plan (Recruitment, Retention, and Recognition of an Outstanding and Diverse Faculty and Staff).
Posters and Stickers
The College of Pharmacy has created posters and stickers in multiple languages in an effort to get its message out on creating a climate conducive to learning and creating knowledge for every person in the community. Feel free to download and print these items for your own use, display, and distribution.
- You Belong Here, 11″ x 17″, English (PDF)
- You Belong Here, Half Letter, English (PDF)
- Tú Perteneces Aquí, 11″ x 17″, Español (PDF)
- Tú Perteneces Aquí, Half Letter, Español (PDF)
- 당신은 여기에 속해 있습니다, 11″ x 17″, Korean (PDF)
- 당신은 여기에 속해 있습니다, Half Letter, Korean (PDF)
- 你是我们的一员, 11″ x 17″, Mandarin (PDF)
- 你是我们的一员, Half Sheet, Mandarin (PDF)
- All Belong Here, English (PDF)
- We Belong Here, English (PDF)
- Y’all Belong Here, English (PDF)
- Tú Perteneces Aquí, Español (PDF)
- Todos Pertenecemos Aquí, Español (PDF)
- 당신은 여기에 속해 있습니다, Korean (PDF)
- 你是我们的一员, Mandarin (PDF)