1939 to 1920

Historical Highlights: 1939 to 1920

Ladies standing in a row

The University of Texas College of Pharmacy had the largest enrollment of any pharmacy school in the country.  

The Board of Regents moved the College of Pharmacy to the UT Austin campus. The College of Pharmacy became a member of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. 

Entrance requirements for the College of Pharmacy were changed to require a high school diploma. The Board of Regents adopted a recommendation to restrict enrollment to the college to ease severe overcrowding. 

The Ladies Auxiliary of the Texas State Pharmaceutical Association awarded its first scholarship to a promising female student. 

picture of Smart Weed

1939

The University of Texas College of Pharmacy had the largest enrollment of any pharmacy school in the country.

1938

The adoption of a dual program for the B.S. degree allowed students to pursue a scientifically-oriented curriculum or one including business administration, economics, and psychology.

1937

“Basic Material for a Pharmaceutical Curriculum,” a report published by American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, was updated with revised recommended standards.

picture of pharmacy laboratory in V Hall

1936

The minimum number of hours required to receive a B.S. degree was increased by AACP from 3,000 to 3,200.

1935

The American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) adopted a reciprocity system whereby credits from one accredited school might be accepted by another for the same course in pharmacy.

1934

A state law went into effect which required a minimum of a Ph.D. degree from a College of Pharmacy for state pharmacist licensure.

picture of Louis William Schleuse

1933

The Gamma Gamma chapter of Kappa Psi was established as a service organization open to any student interested in professional as well as extracurricular activities.

1932

New courses including “Manufacturing of Cosmetic Preparations” and “Parasiticides and Parasitology” indicated the developing divergent directions of the profession.

1931

The UT Pharmaceutical Association (UTPhA), predecessor of the Longhorn Pharmaceutical Association, was organized to foster professional pride and to introduce students to state and national pharmacy organizations.

picture of desk from 1930 Texan News room

1930

The second pharmacy student organization, the Nu chapter of Rho Chi National Honorary Pharmaceutical Society, was established.

picture of temp home

1929

The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry of the College of Pharmacy became a subdivision of the University’s Department of Chemistry. Pharmacy quarters on the Austin campus with the new Chemistry Building in the background.

1928

picture of faculty of college of Pharmacy in 1927

1927

The Board of Regents moved the College of Pharmacy to the UT Austin campus. There it was housed in temporary makeshift quarters including army barracks. Classes were also conducted in the biology and chemistry buildings.

1926

The College of Pharmacy became a member of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. Irma Smith became the first woman to be named to a professorial position within the college.

1925

The Board of Regents approved a new Ph.G. curriculum in pharmacy, increasing the degree from a two-year to a three-year program.

1924

Courses in hospital pharmacy were added to the curricula, and William F. Gidley was appointed dean.

picture of car

1923

Entrance requirements for the College of Pharmacy were changed to require a high school diploma.

1922

The Board of Regents adopted a recommendation to restrict enrollment to the college to ease severe overcrowding. Pharmacology/Toxicology became a department of the college.

1921

A shack was erected near Galveston’s main building to accommodate a chemistry laboratory to ease overcrowding in pharmacy’s basement facilities.

picture of UT Women Athletes of 1920's

1920

The Ladies Auxiliary of the Texas State Pharmaceutical Association awarded its first scholarship to a promising female student. The school was elevated to the status of College of Pharmacy.