Course Coordinators in our required Pharmacy courses have a special set of responsibilities to ensure that faculty are fully supported in their teaching efforts (but accountable for established course policies), and that all students in the course (regardless of campus) have equivalent learning opportunities. Recent years have brought increasing challenges for Coordinators in terms of
- the number of faculty involved in team-taught, integrated coursework,
- the offering of cross-divisional courses, and
- delivering both required and elective courses by distance education.
Thus, it is imperative that the Coordinator and his/her teaching faculty have a shared understanding of course policies and expectations before the course gets underway, and that problems arising during the semester are addressed expeditiously and consistent with the established course policies.
This Guide is intended to provide helpful information and links to assist Course Coordinators in the management of their assignments. First and foremost, we want to thank you for your willingness to accept such an important and challenging (but oftentimes thankless) responsibility. Secondly, we would ask for your feedback on the information provided, along with any additional information you would like to have linked to this page.
Again, thanks much for all you do!
Patrick J. Davis, Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
- FOR HEAVEN’S SAKE, ICE THAT SYLLABUS!
- DECIDE COURSE VIDEOTAPING/VIDEOSTREAMING POLICIES BEFORE CLASS STARTS!
- CLEARLY DEFINE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF YOUR LOCAL COORDINATORS!
- SET YOUR COURSE POLICY ON HANDOUTS, AND HOLD FACULTY TO IT!
- YOU’LL HAVE ENOUGH OF A CHALLENGE IN CONDUCTING YOUR OWN TEACHING EVALUATION; DON’T TRY TO DO EVERYONE ELSES TOO!
- PROVIDE YOUR FACULTY INSTRUCTORS INFO AS TO HOW TO HAVE WEB INFO POSTED.
- PLAN AHEAD FOR ADDITIONAL ROOM NEEDS.
- KEEP IN TOUCH WITH YOUR FACULTY DURING THE SEMESTER; DON’T RELY ON JUST THE INITIAL SYLLABUS MAILING!
- STAY IN CLOSE TOUCH WITH THE LRC (OR YOUR LOCAL BROADCASTING STAFF) CONCERNING AV NEEDS AND ANY TECHNOLOGY-RELATED PROBLEMS THAT ARISE.
- CLASSROOM RESPONSE SYSTEM FOR FACULTY
- IF ALL ELSE FAILS