Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Clinical Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Abbott Centennial Fellow in Pharmacy
Provost’s Teaching Fellow
Health IPE Fellow
Renee Acosta received her B.S. in pharmacy from The University of Texas at Austin in 1990. She practiced in a community pharmacy in Austin as both a staff pharmacist and pharmacy manager upon graduation. In 1996, she returned to graduate school to pursue her M.S. degree in pharmacy through the Option II Program at UT Austin.
In 1998, she became the founding program coordinator and full-time faculty member for the Pharmacy Technician Program at Austin Community College. At ACC, she developed and maintained the Pharmacy Technician Program curriculum, which included traditional classroom, laboratory, experiential and distance learning classes.
She joined the College of Pharmacy as a clinical assistant professor in 2003, where she was an alternate facilitator for pharmacotherapeutics lab and guest lecturer for hospital pharmacy. In June 2005 she joined the pharmacy practice faculty full-time. She currently coordinates and teaches the over-the-counter medication course sequence in the professional pharmacy degree program: Nonprescription Pharmacotherapeutics and Self-Care I and II (lectures and IPPE). She also teaches in the Pharmacy Practice Lab, facilitates in Foundations for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice (FICP), and mentors students in Foundations for Professional Development and FICP. In addition to her teaching in the college, she teaches an Undergraduate Studies’ Signature Course titled “Self-Care and OTC Products”.
She served the college as Assistant Dean of Admissions and Advising from fall 2015 until fall 2017. In this role, she was responsible for coordinating and conducting recruiting, admissions and advising activities for the college. Since fall 2017, she has served the college as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. In this role, she provides leadership for and coordination of the Pharm.D. program.
She is active in local, state and national organizations. She is a member of the American Pharmacists Association, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Texas Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Texas Pharmacy Association, Austin Area Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Capital Area Pharmacist Association, and American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy.
Her areas of interest include over-the-counter products, student assessment and success, and innovative teaching methods.
- Academic Leadership Fellows Program, 2014-2015
- ASHP Commission on Credentialing, 2003-2006
- NISOD Excellence Award, 2003
- President’s Associates Teaching Excellence Award, 2022
- Top Ten Faculty, AACP Graduating Student Survey, 2021-2022
- Class of 2020 Teaching Excellence Award, 2018
- Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award, 2012
- Professor of the Month, The Senate of College Councils, January 2014, September 2010, September 2008
- Texas Exes Teaching (TETA) Award, 2006-2007
Student Professional Organizations Awards:
- Phi Lambda Sigma- Psi Chapter, Best Alumni of the Year 2019
- Phi Lambda Sigma - Psi Chapter, Outstanding Teacher of the Year 2014
- Phi Lambda Sigma - Psi Chapter, Alumnus of the Year 2012
- Health IPE Fellow, 2021
- Provost's Teaching Fellow, 2015
Required Didactic Courses:
- PHM 282E Nonprescription Pharmacotherapeutics and Self-Care I, P2
- PHM 282F Nonprescription Pharmacotherapeutics and Self-Care II, P2
- PHM 182I Nonprescription Pharmacotherapeutics and Self-Care IPPE, P2
- UGS 302 Self-Care and OTC Products, UGS Signature Course
US Mail Address:
The University of Texas at Austin
2409 University Avenue, STOP A1900
Austin, TX 78712-1113
2409 University Avenue
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712